Christmas Outfit - Striped Dress

Friday, January 01, 2016

Sorry for the blurry photos! these were actually taken with a cellphone and you can see the tree lights all over me!

Still I wanted to share my Christmas + New Year's Eve outfits with you. They both have a story behind them. At this point I'm gonna write about the first one in both Spanish and English, because of a request my friends have made regarding my writing being "funnier" in Spanish when it comes to anecdotes.

Christmas Outfit
This dress has a very looong story behind it. First of all, it's supposed to "mimic" an old dress I had like 6 years ago when I was much thinner and younger (photo below). Second of all, you all know I loooove Taylor Swift, love the way she dresses, her songs, everything! (If you didn't know that, please follow me on Pinterest, there you can see all of my obsessions!) When I first saw her with the exquisite Kate Spade Carolyn Stripe Fit & Flare dress I fell in love! This was like 3 Decembers ago and even when I definitely couldn't afford the dress at the time (can I afford it now?), it got out of stock in all reasonable sizes SO QUICKLY! it was madness! I really really wanted to have something like that again and H&M was well, close enough.

Este vestido tiene una historia muuuuy larga detrás. Primero que nada, tiene el propósito de hacerle "mímica" a un vestido que usaba hace unos 6 años, cuando era mucho más delgada y joven (foto abajo).Segundo que nada, todos saben que aaaamooo a Taylor Swift, amo su estilo, sus canciones y toda ella! (En caso de que no lo supieran, por favor síganme en Pinterest, ahí pueden enterarse de todas mis obsesiones!) Cuando la vi por primera vez en el nada menos que exquisito vestido Kate Spade Carolyn a rayas que tiene un corte ajustado en el torso y suelto de la cintura para abajo, me enamoré! Esto sucedió hace 3 diciembres, y aún cuando en esos momentos no tenía el poder adquisitivo para comprar ese vestido (como si lo tuviera ahorita...), se acabó en todas las tiendas TAN rápido, toda la gente enloqueció por él y ya no había manera de adquirirlo en ninguna talla razonable. De verdad quería TANTO ese vestido, y pues bueno... H&M hizo algo "similar".



"New" H&M Dress (collection 2014, it actually fitted me for Christmas 2015)


I really wish it had a fuller skirt, I'm soo into full skirts! and instead of white, it had the beautiful pearl color the KS has on it, but then again... it's KS! It's perfect.

De verdad quisiera que la falda fuera más ampona, que tuviera más volumen; me encantan las faldas con mucho volumen. También quisiera que en vez de blanco, fuera un tono más perla, como el KS... pero pues KS hace cosas perfectas!


Old Dress (Photo taken in Aguascalientes, Feria de San Marcos 2010)


Youth, divine treasure! You have now left, never to return! Well the only thing I did hate at the time was my hair... rememer I can't stop talking about I couldn't get it longer than my shoulders? It was icky and texture was yucky, dry and very ugly overall. Read here to know how I got my hair to grow long and strong. Another "funny" anecdote is that my friends from Aguascalientes started to hum Beetle's juice theme song whenever I walked into any room... mean people, what can I say?

Juventúd divino tesoro... ya se me fue para no volver. Bueno, mi cabello sí era un desastre y no lograba que llegara más allá de mis hombros, aparte de que tenía textura horrible (pueden ver más sobre cómo hice que mi cabello creciera sano aquí). Otra anécdota "graciosa" es que mis queridísimos amigos de Aguascalientes empezaban a tararear la canción de Beetlejuice cada vez que me veían... muuuy graciosos!


Differences between the 2 dresses
Old Dress:
- Fabric wasn't the best. It was very thin and somewhat sheer as you can see in the photo with flash, black is not as black as it should be. The blend was about 60% polyester, 20% rayon and 10% spandex.
- It didn't have a lining, therefore the sheerness.
- No specific brand, I probably bought it at some Ross store.
- It had a boat neck, or similar. I really preferred that neckline. 
- Sleeve was 3/4

- Very sturdy. Not sheer at all. Blend is Cotton Satin (98% cotton and 2% spandex).
- Very nice lining, so it doesn't itch at all.
- I bought it at H&M in Chicago (September 2014) but it was a true miracle! Since I had my eye on it from the beginning, when it first came up on their website but couldn't find it anywhere in San Digo. Downside was it didn't fit, I was a bit chubbier at the time and I couldn't get myself to zip it up! (obviously and like always, I bought it so I have it when I'm thinner! - Women Logic)
- Short sleeve.
- Crew neck.


Diferencias entre los 2 vestidos
Vestido Viejo: 
- La tela no era la mejor, era muy delgada (60% poliester, 20% rayón y 10% spandex)
- No tenía forro (como pueden ver medio transparentoso al usar flash)
- No era de ninguna marca en específico, lo tomé de alguna tienda como Ross o algo así
- Manga 3/4
- El cuello era algo más "boat neck"
- De seguro costó como 10 dlls a lo mucho :) 

Vestido Nuevo:
- La tela es gruesa, no se transparenta para nada. El material es 98% algodón y 2% elastano.
- Tiene un forro muy suavecito, así que no pica en la piel para nada.
- Lo compré en H&M en Chicago (Septiemre 2014) y fue de verdad un milagro porque lo estuve buscando en todas las tiendas de San Diego y en ninguna lo encontré. Lo malo es que no había de mi talla realmente, solamente una talla más chica y obviamente lo compré para cuando adelgazara... como cualquier persona haría!
- Tiene mangas cortas.
- El cuello es redondo, prefiero el otro corte a decir verdad.


Beetlejuice... SERIOUSLY GUYS?



Thanks for stopping by!

And please do come back, I'm sharing my New Year's eve outfit on the weekend :).

xoxo,

Lau

You Might Also Like

0 comments