Es el mar que no tiene final.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Hello everybody! Merry Christmas! I'm hoping you're enjoying yourselves these holidays!
On my previous post I mentioned my "recent" passion for all things goldified! I also mentioned (I think I did) I had a handful of home projects that I wanted to share with you.
This specific one it's about restoring an old table; it ended up being a pain and frustration, not because of the transformation itself but because I took all the process photos with my super new cellphone (yay!!! I'm a person now) and for some reason I had to reset it and forgot to backup all the pics so I lost the process ones and I have just one that I sent to my dearest friend Betty, she's always saving me you know?
So... I wanted this to be very graphic and all DIYish but I guess I'll just have to share with you the steps :(

This is what the table looked like! It had been lying around the house since... forever I guess... and I was using it to store the Dogs' accessories and treats... then I found THIS PIN and I really wanted to do something similar but didn't have the budget to go all Ikea this time... then I saw the table and it made sense!!!



What I did, step by step:
1. I sanded the whole thing, it's weird since it has this... like... "paper" with the wood finish covering it, still sanded it a lot! I sanded the metal as well and used two kinds of sanding paper, the first one was very rough and then a finer one.
2. I covered the whole thing in Rustoleum Primer (gray color but it was lying around the house so I had to use it)... then I waited and waited... like 2 hours before proceeding with the painting.
3. I spray painted the metal and casters in gold (using Rustoleum Metallic Gold as usual), I did this first because spray paint dries faster than regular one and I wanted to move forward with the rest of the table. I just covered the table with paper and masking tape so it won't get gold but I was not too worried since I was still going to cover that with white. I waited one hour before moving on.
4. Using a brush and Behr semi-gloss paint and primer in one I did the rest of the table, it needed like 3 coats for it to look good and I had to wait like 2-3 hours in between coats, this definitely took all day! You can see the light in the picture above, it was bright and the one below it started to get dark. I'm guessing you could do one coat then wait for next day and so on but I'm very impatient so I wanted to finish it as soon as possible.
This is the finished product:


And this is how it looks in my walk-in closet:


I really LOVED the results!!! I'm guessing you could use some other kinds of paints, this is what I had in hand and it worked!
And BTW that vase that looks like SALONG Ikea ones, I got it for $1.49 USD at the 99c only store! I just couldn't believe it!!! It's adorable!
To wrap up I'd like to share the news with you, my Pink Beetle is gone :( I finally sold it and I guess I'm moving on... these are the last photos I managed to took with it... missing it already!!!

So this is it for this post :), I'm working on something that involves everything I did with my Christmas décor at home but... I don't know when I'll have it ready :(
Thanks a lot for reading my nonsense and come back later for new gold-transformations!



You Might Also Like

1 comments